There’s nothing like the aroma of fresh cut lavender! Create a lavender wand for a sensory experience.
This is a great activity for sensory stimulation and to help participants with fine motor movements. Caregivers can also enjoy this activity with a loved one.
CREATE THE WAND
1. Collect lavender flower stems and cut as long as possible. I usually find a gardener who is willing to share their summer harvest!
2. Have clients pick the excess leaves off of the stems.
3. They then gather stems to create a small bunch.
4. Use yarn, twine, or ribbon to wrap around the stems starting from about 1-2 inches from the flowers. Work toward the end of the cut stems.
5. Create a loop for the wand to hang upside down in a closet or placed in a clothes drawer.
CONSIDERATIONS AND COMMENTS
This activity is also great as a nice gift for caregivers.
Potpourri sachets can be made with leftover flowers.
|Setup Time||1 hours|
|Completion Time||1 hours|
|Resources||Lavender flowers with stems|
ScissorsRibbon, twine, jute
Fine motor skills